- in Wet Shaving
Best Badger Shaving Brush for the Money - UK Reviews & Buying Guide
Thanks for taking your time to read out information and reviews on the best badger hair shaving brushes, that are currently available on the UK marketplace.
Making the move to wet shaving is something that men will likely consider at some point when it comes to having a shave. If you plan on trying out wet shaving, then you will need to use some form of lubricant on your face.
There are a few types available and they include:
- Shaving soap
- Shaving cream
- Shaving gels
- Shaving foam
These do a number of things which include softening the bristles on the face, helps raise them up and most importantly protects the skin from the blade that will be used on the razor.
Creams, gels and foams are typically applied by hand. If you want to use a proper shaving soap, then you will need something to whip that soap up into a rich creamy lather.
The shaving brush is designed to do just that.
All our product recommendations are based on our independent research which we conduct online by reading the many reviews we find at online websites. This review contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission for purchases made.
You can read our affiliates page to find out more and also read about how we write our reviews.
Badger Hair Brushes vs Other Types of Brushes
There are a few different types of shaving brush on the market. The key difference in each type is the kind of hair that is used in the brush. Shaving brushes are pretty simple to understand in terms of construction.
They are made from a handle, which can be wooden, plastic or from a range of other materials. Into those handles the hairs are glued to form what is called the "knot."
The hairs used in shaving brushes come in a few different types which include:
We think it is worth pointing out that with boar hair and badger hair, the animal does have to die to get the hair so it can be used. Mainly this type of hair will be imported from Asia.
Horse hair is taken from either the mane or the tail of the horse.
Synthetic hair is a man made hair, so no animal hair is used and no animal has to die.
Is Badger Hair the Best Type for a Shaving Brush?
It is fair to say that wet shavers disagree as to which is the best type of hair to use. We think it is a matter of personal preference.
The important thing to understand is that the hair on the brush needs to be able to:
- Retain a lot of water as this helps quickly create a lather
- Be strong enough to last for a few years
- Be good at getting into the bristles on the face and neck
It is also fair to say that any type of hair can achieve that. What really sets one apart from the other is how the hair feels on the face, and how well it keeps its shape and lasts.
Badger is the softest type of hair, retains a lot of water and is made to last. Those are the reasons many people prefer this type of hair. This is also the way that traditional shaving brushes have been made for years.
Boar hair is tougher and will feel rougher on the face, and most synthetic brushes also feel a little bit harder on the face. The horse hair brush is not that popular but it is making a comeback.
Different Grades of Badger Hair
There are four different types of badger hair used in the making of shaving brushes. These are:
- Pure badger hair
- Best badger hair
- Super badger hair
- Silvertip badger hair
Pure Badger Hair
This is the cheapest form of badger hair and is considered to be quite coarse. It is worth noting that is will never be as coarse as boar hair.
Pure badger hair comes in slightly different colours depending on which manufacturer you buy it from. These colours are brown, grey or black or mix of these colours.
Typically a pure badger hair brush will last 3-4 years, and are very affordable to buy.
Best Badger Hair
This is a step up from the basic pure badger hair, and feels a great deal softer on the skin. The colours range from light brown to grey but you will pay more for this type of shaving brush. These do absorb a lot of water and will last with average use for about 6-7 years
Super Badger Hair
This is a really good choice as the hair is very soft, and as such holds and retains a great deal more water, than any of the two hairs mentioned so far. The hair is noticeable as it will have a mid-section that has a distinct black colour.
You do pay for this additional luxury though, but likewise you will get a brush that will last for 10+ years.
Silvertip Badger Hair
And finally we have the best of the best badger hair. They are easy to identify as the hair on the tip is shaped into a bulb and a distinct off white colour (not silver)
This is a soft and luxurious hair that offers the ultimate shave. Prepare to get your wallet out if you want to own one of these.
Top 12 Badger Hair Shaving Brushes
Here you will find our summary reviews of the best badger hair shaving brushes. We have ranked these by the highest buyer rated first.
- Anbbas Shaving Brush Handmade Pure Badger Hair Brush with Natural Manchurian Ash Wood Handle (94%)
- MÜHLE RYTMO Steamed Ash Pure Badger Shaving Brush (94%)
- Haryali Modern Black Silver Tip Badger hair Shaving Brush (92%)
- Haryali Pure Black Badger Hair Men's Shaving Brush in Black ebony (92%)
- Everpert Badger Hair Men's Shaving Brush Barber Salon Men Facial Beard Cleaning Shaving-Foam Razor Brush (90%)
- Parker Safety Razor 100% Premium Black Badger Bristle Shaving Brush With Marbled Handle - Brush Stand Included Ivory (88%)
- Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush (Chrome Handle) And Free Shaving Brush Stand shave brush (88%)
- Taylor of Old Bond Street Pure Badger Large Black Shaving Brush (86%)
- QSHAVE 100% Best Original Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush Handmade. Real Wood Base. Perfect for Wet Shave, Safety Razor, Double Edge Razor (86%)
- The Bluebeards Revenge Pure Badger Shaving Brush (86%)
- Vtrem Shaving Brush Set for Men 3 in 1 Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brushes with Wood Handle, Stainless Steel Shaving Stand + Bowl Perfect for Wet Shave, Safety Razor (84%)
- Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush with Drip Stand - Medium, Imitation Ebony (82%)
1. Anbbas Shaving Brush - Handmade Pure Badger Hair Brush with Natural Manchurian Ash Wood Handle
- 100% pure badger hair
- No shedding of hairs and no terrible smell
- Handle made from natural ash wood handle.
- The badger hair is silky, soft and firm, as water absorbing and heat retention capability
- Works well with all shaving soap and all foams, gels or creams
2. MÜHLE RYTMO Steamed Ash Pure Badger Shaving Brush
- RYTMO Steamed Ash Shaving Brush
- Made from pure badger hair
- Has chrome-plated highlights
- Ring Size M: 21mm
- Made in Germany
3. Haryali Modern Black Silver Tip Badger hair Shaving Brush
- Made of Silver Tip Badger Hair
- Top of the range badger Hair
- Makes a rich and warm lather
- Always wash in warm soapy water before first use to "prime it.
- All brushes are presented in brands fall (gift box)
- Razor by Haryali London brush has long been the choice of that those who expect only the best.
4. Haryali Pure Black Badger Hair Men's Shaving Brush
- Made with 100% pure badger hair which is soft and gentle to your skin but yet hard enough to generate rich lather.
- Designed, created and branded by HARYALI LONDON
- Makes a perfect gift for any wet shaver.
5. Everpert Badger Hair Men's Shaving Brush
- Gently exfoliates the skin.
- Effectively increases the bubble of shaving cream, for a comfortable shaving experience
- Densely filled brush head is best for holding and distributing lather
- Helps soften and raise beards while gently exfoliating skin
6. Parker Safety Razor 100% Premium Black Badger Bristle Shaving Brush
- Fabulous black badger hair bristle density for a great lather and shave
- Handmade to the highest quality standards with
- Black badger bristles are stiffer and provide great exfoliation
- Free Stand Included
7. Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush
- This brush is made with silvertip badger bristles
- These are extremely soft bristles with a dense knot to create a fabulous lather
- Comes with a free lucite shaving brush stand for proper brush storage and drying
- Outstanding Quality - for years of service!
8. Taylor of Old Bond Street Pure Badger Large Black Shaving Brush
- Pure badger hair with excellent water absorbency
- This is a very good choice for beginners
- The brush is hand finished with an imitation ivory handle
- Gently lifts the hair and produces a rich lather and pleasurable shaving experience
9. QSHAVE 100% Best Original Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- This is a hand made brush with 100% Premium Pure badger hair.
- The hair is soft with excellent water absorption
- The pure badge bristles hold a huge amount of water, which makes it easy to get a really smooth gliding wet shave
- The handle is made of real wood which gives excellent grip
10. The Bluebeards Revenge Pure Badger Shaving Brush
- This brush is made from pure badger hair
- It is a solid brush to whip up a great lather and exfoliate you skin
- Has a faux ivory handle with Bluebeards Revenge logo
- Handmade in England
- Comes in a presentation box with holofoil
11. Vtrem Shaving Brush Set for Men
- Made from pure badger hair
- The hairs are silky, soft and stay firm on the brush handle
- Good water absorbing and heat retention
- Comes with a shaving stand and bowl
- Makes a great gift
12. Edwin Jagger Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- Branded for authenticity and warranty
- Medium size & weight
- Should be used with a quality shaving cream or soap
- This is high end badger hair that generates rich lather for great shaving result
- Comes with a matching drip stand for easy storage and drying purposes
Badger Hair Shaving Brush Buyer's Guide
We always like to write a full buyer's guide, which we believe is especially helpful for any new buyer. Shaving brushes on first appearance, seem to be little more than a wooden handle, and attached to that is some form of hair or bristles.
There is a great deal more to a shaving brush than first meets the eye. Some guys who use a shaving brush get very picky about which is the best, and there are often strong disagreements.
Here at the Shaving Emporium we do take a more pragmatic view and not the purist view of those who stress about the quality of their brush.
We agree with most wet shavers that a badger hair brush is about as good as it gets. Now clearly if you don't like the idea of a badger being killed, then we understand these will never be on your list.
For those who take a different view, then overall badger hair is an extremely good choice. The hair is soft and fine and holds a lot of water which makes lathering a soap a great deal easier.