- in Wet Shaving
Best Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush for the Money - UK Reviews & Buying Guide
Thanks for taking your time to read out information and reviews on the best silvertip badger shaving brushes, that are currently available on the UK marketplace.
If you have decided to make the move to buying a shaving brush, then you may already know that you have four choices of shaving brush, which are:
In this article though we are concentrating on badger hair shaving brushes. In particular we are concentrating on brushes made from badger hair, but also have what is called the "silvertip" appearance.
Generally speaking shaving brushes are simple in design, in that they have long hair and a smooth handle that is comfortable to hold. They have been made in that design for years.
All our product recommendations are based on our independent research which we conduct online by reading the many reviews we find at online websites. This review contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission for purchases made.
You can read our affiliates page to find out more and also read about how we write our reviews.
Why Pick Silvertip Badger Hair?
There is general agreement among all wet shavers that badger hair is the best hair to use. That is because it is the finest hair, and can hold significant amounts of water.
When that is the used with a shaving soap it does make a rich and luxurious lather.
The reason all wet shavers want that is that it prevents razor skipping and dragging. That in turn means that you get a closer shave free of any cuts or nicks. In other words the shaving brush is very important.
Badger hair is also stiff enough to lift hairs and stubble up from the skin, and that makes it much easier to shave off. Badger hair is a nice blend of hair for two reasons:
- It is stiff enough to gently exfoliate the skin
- It is soft enough to prevent irritating the skin
As an example boar hair is slightly better at creating a lather with soap, but has the downside of being quite aggressive on the skin, and not suitable for anyone with sensitive skin.
Different Types of Badger Hair
There are four different types of badger hair used in the making of shaving brushes. These are:
- Pure badger hair
- Best badger hair
- Super badger hair
- Silvertip badger hair
Pure Badger Hair
This is the cheapest form of badger hair and can be quite coarse but not as coarse as boar hair. It comes in slightly different colours depending on which manufacturer you buy it from. These colours are brown, grey or black or mix of these colours. Typically a pure badger hair brush will last 3-4 years, and are very affordable to buy.
Best Badger Hair
This is a step up from the basic pure badger hair, and feels a great deal softer on the skin. The colours range from light brown to grey but you will pay more for this type of shaving brush. These do absorb a lot of water and will last with average use for about 6-7 years
Super Badger Hair
This is a really good choice as the hair is very soft, and as such holds and retains a great deal more water, than any of the two hairs mentioned so far. The hair is noticeable as it will have a mid-section that has a distinct black colour.
You do pay for this additional luxury though, but likewise you will get a brush that will last for 10+ years.
Silvertip Badger Hair
And finally we have the best of the best badger hair. They are easy to identify as the hair on the tip is shaped into a bulb and a distinct off white colour (not silver) This is a soft and luxurious hair that offers the ultimate shave. Prepare to get your wallet out if you want to own one of these.
Silvertip Fibre Badger Hair Brushes
When real badger hair is used, then the reality is that the badger does have to die in order to collect the hair. Badger killing is not allowed in the United Kingdom under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992
This legislation was mainly to stop the practise of badger setting with dogs. It is a complex law, but essentially, it has stopped the killing of badgers. It is not outlawed in other countries though and can also be imported.
All badger hair is imported from China under very strict import laws. For many wet shavers it is a question of ethics as to whether they want to use real badger hair in their brush.
As such manufacturers have responded by making look alike silvertip shaving brushes using man made fibres.
Top Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brushes
The top 5 buyer rated silvertip badger hair shaving brushes are:
- MÜHLE Classic Medium Black Silvertip Fibre Shaving Brush (93%)
- Parker Safety Razor Large Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush (91%)
- Haryali Silver Tip Badger Hair Shaving Brush (90%)
- Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush (89%)
- Anbbas Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush (87%)
1. MÜHLE Classic Medium Black Silvertip Fibre Shaving Brush
- The handle is made from black resin and very comfortable to hold
- Please note this is a Silvertip Fibre (Vegan) shaving brush (7 fibres)
- It is classed as a medium size and this brush can also be bought in a larger size
- Ring Size M: 21 mm
- Measures 35 mm x 102 mm
- Weighs 54 grams
- Made in Germany by the respected Muhle shaving brand
- Buyers say that this creates an excellent lather
- Buyers said that the larger brush size is a better choice as it is easier to use
- All buyers said that there is no shredding with this brush
- Buyers said the hair was soft and held a lot of water
- No bad reviews as yet
- A couple of buyers did say that this was a small brush
2. Parker Safety Razor Large Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- Made with super soft silvertip badger hair bristles
- Measures: Knot length 23.5 mm, Hair Length 50 mm, with total length 100 mm
- Base diameter 35 mm
- Weight 120 grams
- This brush comes with a drip stand
- Has the Parker logo on brush handle
- 75% of all buyers gave this one a full 5 star review
- Buyers liked the grip on this brush and also said it was a nice weight
- The majority of buyers said this was very easy to use
- Buyers loved the appearance of the handle
- No bad reviews so far
3. Haryali London Modern Black Silver Tip Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- Made by Haryali London
- This brush is assembled by hand
- Made with Haryali Silver tip Badger grade of hair
- The loft of the brush is made without the use of any scissors cutting the tips of the hair; ensuring the very softest and best lathering tips of hair
- Has a very polished handle that is non-slip, even when wet.
- Weighs 112 grams
- Total Brush length 99 mm
- Brush Handle size 48 mm
- Comes with a wire brush stand that is chrome plated
- Comes in a designer box so good if buying as a gift
- 80% of all buyers gave this brush a full 5 star review
- Most buyers said this was superb quality
- Many buyers said they had owned other brushes but this was their favourite of all of them
- Buyers said it made a great lather and was very soft on the face
- 10% of all buyers gave this a bad review.
4. Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush
- This brush is the biggest selling silver tip badger brush online
- Made with genuine silvertip badger bristles
- The knot is dense and makes a strong rich lather
- Comes with a shaving brush stand for proper brush storage and drying
- 75% of all buyers gave this a 5 star review
- Buyers said this was very soft on the skin and created an amazing lather
- Buyers were impressed by the amount of water this could hold
- Buyers really liked the chrome finish
- Only 2% of buyers gave this a bad review
- The complaints were minor and mainly about having the logo on the brush
5. Anbbas Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush,
- Made with silvertip badger hair bristles
- The handle is a mixture of highly polished resin and alloy
- Measures (Hair/Handle): 5/5.5 cm
- The diameter of the handle is 3.0 cm
- Fashionable attractive brush
- Will not rust
- 71% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- Most buyers said the hair was soft and held plenty of water
- Buyers said this was a soft brush and a good choice for sensitive skin
- 9% of all buyers gave this a bad review
- Those buyers say it was not real silver tip and shed a lot of hairs
Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush Buyer Information
Hopefully we have provided you with enough information to point you in the right direction if you are thinking of buying a silver tip badger hair shaving brush. There are enough choices on the market to give you a decent choice.
This is the best type of hair if you can afford it. if you think this is not the right type of shaving brush for you, then check out our top 10 list of all shaving brushes by clicking here.
Most men understand that for wet shaving, you do need a good brush, and especially if you plan on using a shaving soap. They make a great lather, and also do an excellent job of softening and raising the facial hair.
Expect to pay anything between £20-65 for this type of silvertip, and towards the higher end of that range for the best quality. That will ensure you own a great brush that will last you for at least 10 years.