Simpson Shaving Brush Reviews
We thought we would take a closer look at shaving brushes made by the Simpson Company. The have been around now for almost 100 years and are based in London, where their company originated in 1919.
They are still to this day best known for making all of their brushes by hand. There are very few companies who can say that with any degree of authority.
With that kind of pedigree, you can imagine that their quality is extremely high, and they have also developed a wide range of products over the years.
As an avid wet shaver myself, I almost found that I had to try out one of these, so when I went looking, I did all of my usual research to see which one I would like the best. Here at the Emporium we are more than happy to share that information, with you our readers.
Before you start reading though we would like to point out that these brushes, well most of them, will set you back a pretty penny. They are in the main expensive, but for traditional wet shavers like me, they are indeed a bit of an indulgence.
We would not recommend these for people starting out, and they are aimed at a certain type of dedicated wet shaver who simply wants to have the best that money can buy.
What Makes A Simpson Brush So Special?
The obvious answer is sheer quality, made by hand and with the best type of bristle that can be bought and used. The Simpson Company pride themselves on producing these products by hand and to the very highest quality. So the question is really twofold for us:
- What do actual buyers think of them?
- What should you expect to pay for them?
We will answer the second question first and these can cost as low as £20 and all the way up to £250. The determining factor that sets the price is the type of badger hair that is used.
Many of the cheaper brands will use a synthetic hair, but to be honest this is a very poor substitute for the real thing. With Simpsons, you will only have badger which comes in three different grades:
- Pure - Coarse dark hair of either short or medium length
- Best - A light base with a cream coloured top and is the most popular
- Super - Long hair with a lighter tip and is the softest feel
In essence the badger hair used sets the price, and the better the hair, the more you will pay.
The answer to the first question of what buyers think, we shall answer in the reviews below. Just before we get to those we want to let you know about the different ranges available in the Simpson range.
Models of Simpson Shaving Brushes
The various models in the range include
- Wee Scot
- Persian Jar
- Milk Churn
That is some length of list, and within each of those there are a sub set of models, so as you can see the list can get rather lengthy.
Rather than try to cover off every single one in the list we decided that we should go for our top 5 best rated brushes in this range, so we have shown these below.
Top 4 Simpson Shaving Brushes
Just below we have done summary reviews of the top 5 Simpson branded shaving brushes.
- Simpsons Chubby 1 Best Badger Hair (96%)
- Simpsons Colonel X2L Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush (84%)
- Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger Hair Shaving Brush (99%)
- Simpsons Special Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush (82%)
No 1 Choice - Simpsons Chubby 1 Best Badger Hair
- This one came out our number one pick, and was the one that I bought myself. It is a chubby so not great for people with small hands, but for me it was ideal.
- It is simply a joy to use this one. It cost me just under £95 so yes a sheer indulgence and one I got as a requested birthday present from a bewildered wife.
This one is packed to capacity with the best badger hair available and has a diameter of 45 mm and a bristly length of the same size. From top to toe the brush measures 85 mm.
There is no danger of the hairs falling out of this one as it is so well made. These brushes are iconic of shaving and when you hold this one in your hand, you will know why.
No 2 Choice - Simpsons Colonel X2L Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- This one came out at number two on our list and is one of the more affordable Simpson branded brushes
- This one is made from badger hair
- This one is particularly good for exfoliating and very good with shaving soap.
- The bristle diameter is 50 mm, and the bristle Length 45 mm.
- The total length is 100 mm, the knot diameter is 25 mm, and the handle diameter is 35 mm.
This shaving brush is known as the Colonel X2L. It is officially classed as a dense brush. Buyers say this is a stiff brush and that makes it very good for using with any shaving soap.
No 3 Choice - Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- This is officially classed as a super badger hair shaving brush and comes with an imitation ivory handle.
- It has the highest grade of badger hair
- This is a stiff and hard wearing brush
- This type of brush makes a great lather with any shaving soap or cream
- The bristle diameter is 60 mm, the bristle length is 50 mm and the total length is 95 mm
- The knot diameter is 30 mm, and the handle diameter is 40 mm.
This is right at the very high end of shaving brushes and if you can afford it, it is the best brush that they make. This is also the largest Simpsons that they make.
No 4 Choice - Simpsons Special Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- This is a pure badger hair shaving brush that has an imitation ivory handle.
- It is designed to exfoliate the skin whilst lifting and softening the beard prior to shaving.
- It has been designed to be used with shaving creams, but can be used with shaving soap
- The bristle diameter is 35 mm, the bristle length is 40 mm, and the total length is 90 mm.
- The knot diameter is 18 mm and the handle diameter is 30 mm.
This brush is designed to last a long time and overall it gets very good reviews.